What to Expect From the Surgery Center of Easton
At The Surgery Center of Easton, we are dedicated to providing exceptional care in a friendly, professional and safe environment. The following are guidelines to help you know what to expect from our surgery center and staff prior to your procedure. If you have any additional questions please do not hesitate to contact us at (410) 820-4470.
Prior to Surgery
• Patients must register through the Surgery Center's portal www.onemedicalpassport.com as soon as they are given a surgery date.
• It is your responsibility to arrange in advance for a responsible adult to drive you home and remain with you the first 24 hours after surgery. You cannot drive yourself or be left alone.
• Notify the surgery center before coming to the center if there is any change in your physical condition, such as a cold or fever.
• If you have not been contacted 72 hours before your surgery, please call the center for specific instructions.
• If you wear contact lenses or glasses, bring a case for their safekeeping. We provide containers for removable dentures and bridgework. If you normally sleep in your contact lenses, they may remain in place.
• The night before your surgery you may eat a light snack before midnight. Do not drink or eat anything after midnight – not even coffee or water. You may brush your teeth, remembering not to swallow anything. Refrain from the use of mints, chewing gum, or cigarettes. Failure to follow these instructions may result in cancelation of your surgery.
• Please do not take medications after midnight unless instructed by your physician or our office. If you are diabetic or on blood pressure, heart or stomach, medication, obtain specific instructions from your physician or the nurse who contacts you from the center.
• The surgery center will verify your insurance benefits and obtain any necessary authorizations. You should be aware, however, that this does not necessarily ensure payment by your health plan. We encourage you to familiarize yourself with the benefits applicable to the procedure you will have performed at our center. You will be called and informed of your financial responsibility prior to your scheduled procedure date.
• Payments for any co-pay, deductibles, or procedures not covered by your insurance company are due on the day of surgery. Cash, checks and credit card payments are accepted. We accept Visa, Mastercard, and American Express. If you anticipate difficulty with your bill, please let us know before your procedure so that we can work together to establish a fair solution.
• Arrive promptly at the scheduled time.
• Bathe or shower the morning of your procedure.
• Wear loose, comfortable clothing such as sweat pants or baggy shorts, which will fit over bandages or dressings following surgery.
• Wear low heeled, comfortable shoes.
• Do not wear contact lenses unless you normally sleep in them.
• Leave all valuables, including jewelry and cash, at home. We cannot be responsible for damaged or lost property.
• Bring any paperwork and x-rays that your physician has given you.
• Bring all insurance cards and payments with you to the center.
• A nurse will provide you with a patient gown, slippers and a locker to store your clothing in before you are escorted to the preoperative area.
• Your family will be asked to wait in the front lobby until you are in the secondary recovery room.
• All patients are asked to read and complete a consent form for their procedure. Make sure you understand the risks and benefits of your procedure and the risks of not having your procedure done. Ask your physician if this is not clear to you. In the case of a minor child or dependent adult having a procedure, a parent or legal guardian must do the following:
• Sign the consent
• Bring documentation of guardianship to the center on the day of the procedure
• Remain on premises during the procedure
• Following your procedure, you will be brought to the recovery room; this is a monitored care area, so families and friends generally are not allowed.
• Once you are stable, you will be transferred to another part of the recovery unit so you can rest and be taken care of until it is time for your discharge. Here the postoperative nurse will invite your family and/or friends to stay with you. You will be offered something to drink.
• The nurse will review post-operative home care instructions with you and your responsible adult caregiver, as well as explain any special instructions provided by your physician regarding diet, rest and medications. This is the time for both you and your caretaker to ask any questions you may have regarding your procedure, your post-operative instructions, or your follow-up appointments.
• Since it is normal to feel drowsy after receiving anesthesia, we also strongly recommend you postpone the following activities for 24 hours after discharge:
• Driving and operating equipment
• Signing important papers
• Making significant decisions
• Drinking alcoholic beverages or taking any drug without your physician's approval
Insurance and Billing
• Charges at The Surgery Center of Easton are based on a fee for each procedure performed. If you need an estimate of the total cost of your procedure please contact the business office manager at (410) 820-4470 between the hours of 8:00 am and 4:00 pm, Monday through Friday.
• As a courtesy, we will file a claim with your insurance company for you.
• Payment for co-pays, deductibles and non-covered procedures will be due at time of service.
• In addition to any financial responsibility to the surgery center, you also may receive separate statements or bills from your physician, anesthesiologist and pathologist for any portion of your procedure not covered by insurance.
The Surgery Center of Easton’s goal is to deliver premium care for our patients in a safe, caring, and relaxing environment. No one is better qualified to measure our success than a former patient. That's why we welcome your feedback. Please feel free to call or write the facility administrator to share with him or her any comments or concerns you have regarding your experience at our center.
We appreciate the trust you have placed in our staff. We will make every attempt to honor that trust by providing the high-quality medical care you expect and deserve.
Copyright © 2015 Surgical Care Affiliates